Dr. Annette Lefkowitz and friends
Dr. Annette Lefkowitz was the first director and chair of the Northern Illinois University School of Nursing founded in 1959. Dr. Lefkowitz retired in August 1985 after 26 years of teaching at Northern. Because of the leadership provided by Dr. Lefkowitz, the school received the National League for Nursing accreditation in both the undergraduate and graduate programs, and over the years it has gained national recognition. She became a charter member of the Beta Omega Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau when it was established on campus in 1976.