Friends, graduates and fellow faculty members of Malcolm P. Weiss
Dr. Weiss received his Ph.D. in geology from the University of Minnesota in 1953 and spent 15 years on the faculty at Ohio State University.He came to NIU in 1967 as the very first chair of the Department of Geology. Dr. Weiss was instrumental in establishing NIU’s original geology field camp. He retired in 1988 but continued in the department as Professor Emeritus until 1994 when he moved to Santa Barbara. He passed away in 2002. Mac Weiss was a firm believer that field instruction and learning were fundamental to the education of a geologist. This scholarship was created out of the generosity of friends and alumni who admired Dr. Weiss and shared his commitment to students and to field instruction.